Friday 7 March 2014

A vintage wardrobe revamp pt 1

Much has been said on the interwebs about how to build up a vintage wardrobe from nothing. (May I refer you over to Brittany from Va-Voom Vintage's excellent series on the subject) But this is the journey I am embarking on now, so you'll have to forgive me being a little repetitive.

A lot of articles I've read have had lots of good ideas. Be brutal with your wardrobe. Give away everything you don't LOVE AND ADORE, have a more curated wardrobe of pieces you'd wear every day, start with the basic building blocks of a vintage wardrobe and work from there. And these are all great tips, ones I take into account!

My method is going to differ just slightly. While going through my wardrobe to do a clothes purge (I'm a regular purger - nothing ever feels better to me than getting rid of something I don't use any more) I noticed the few items that have survived years in my closet. A good chunk of them were second hand or rummage sale finds way back in high school - often over ten years ago. What have made these items last in my wardrobe while other, newer items have been sent to the GoodWill long ago?

So with pen and paper I have decided to make a list of my own personal wardrobe basics, the things that I can't seem to live without. Because if I can replicate the success of these few items - buy more of them in different colours and in better quality - I'm going to have a wardrobe that will last me through fickle style changes and trends.


So stay tuned for vintage wardrobe basics - a rambling and hopefully useful project. The first one up - shoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment