Thursday 16 January 2014

A purple cotton nightie

I have a confession to make:

I LOVE GIRLY LACEY NIGHT GOWNS

There, glad I got that off my chest. 

Maybe it's that I grew up wearing them (I don't think I owned pajama pants until I was nine), maybe it's that my grandmother always made the most beautiful nightwear and I have always endeavoured to match them. Maybe I just like feeling like a pretty pretty princess when I'm sleeping. Probably all of them!

I picked up Simplicity 8457 at a rummage sale, and hallelujah it's in my size. It was published in 1969, but really this style of yoked nightgown is one you see all over the 20th century.

I made it from a simple printed cotton, with crocheted lace trim on the collar. Everything was outta the stash, down to the buttons. I felt very smug.
The only alteration I made was making the sleeves shorter. The mid-bicep length was just got flattering on me. 

All the side seams were flat-felled (my grandmother would be so proud - she flat felled positively everything), and the yoke seam I decided to bind in a little silk ribbon I've had sitting around for ages. I adore silk ribbon - it's so flexible it's great for binding along curves, and it's less bulky than bias trim. The centre front is finished with a placket opening and machine-sewn button holes.






What I like: This nightgown fits PERFECTLY. It's comfy, and cute as all hell. I feel like it's such a come down to put on boring old pajama bottoms, now.  

What I'd change: I didn't interface the collar, and I really should have. The collar gets all bunched up and wrinkly VERY quickly. The fabric over-all is prone to wrinkling, but the collar is where it bothers me most.

A little action shot for the road. Looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment